For information about Workshop Scholarships, visit our Scholarships page.
2021 Applications will be available Jan. 1, 2021.
Summer Internships and Residencies
2021 Application information will be available Jan. 1, 2021.
Touchstone’s Summer Internship Program is an intensive 10-25 week work-study program (May – September) where emerging artists, graduate, and undergraduate students learn studio management and operations while refining their artistic skills and working with some of the country’s best artists. Touchstone is committed to fostering the next generation of artists who will carry on the traditions of American craft forms. Click HERE for more information.
NEW! Updated Artist Residency Program in 2021!
The Artist Residency Program provides the time, creative space, and support for emerging and midcareer artists to explore new ideas and bodies of work in any media that we are able to accommodate. The beautiful and unique 150-acre campus of Touchstone offers the perfect environment for makers seeking to change the artistic direction of their art, or reinforce their current body of work. Click HERE for more information.
Hosting over 100 workshops, symposiums, and special events per season, and over 150 woodland acres to manage, Touchstone is always looking for an extra hand (or ten) to help out.
If you have the time, expertise, and willingness to become a Touchstone volunteer, please fill out the highlighted application form below and submit with your resume or CV. Volunteer activities usually revolve around cleaning, landscaping, and construction, but we are always willing to learn what your volunteering interests are and try and match them with our needs.
For questions about volunteering and/or work-study, please call 724-329-1370 or contact Daniel Tomcik, studio and grounds manager, at email@example.com or Travis Winters, programs manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Touchstone Volunteer/Intern/Work-Study Application Form:
2020 Seasonal Employment
Kitchen Steward/Light Prep Cook
Part Time/Seasonal: 6/1/20 – 8/31/20
The Kitchen Steward at Touchstone Center for Crafts is responsible for representing the highest standard of excellence in kitchen cleanliness and organization. The primary purpose of the position is ensuring the kitchen & dining room areas are clean, well maintained, organized & stocked at all times. The Kitchen Steward will maintain a proper level of clean inventory with a high standard of cleanliness according to the sanitation code. The Kitchen Steward will also assist with preparation, setup and serving of meals as necessary. The Kitchen Steward reports directly to the Culinary Manager.
- Adhere to all sanitation guidelines;
- Monitor proper tank temperatures and chemicals
- Maintain a clean and organized work area;
- Clean and sanitize all food storage areas, walk-in fridges, freezers, ovens, freestanding hot and cold boxes, dry storage cupboards, floors and dishes according to sanitation guidelines.
- Oversee studio assistant cleaning of the dining room.
- Clean filters and hoods.
- Clean and sanitize trash containers. Remove trash from food production and services areas.
- Store all cleaned articles in the correct areas.
- Ensure all access and traffic areas are clear and clean.
- Polish chafing dishes, china, silver & glassware as needed.
- Report any breakdowns in equipment, accidents or breakages to the Culinary Manager.
- Assist the Culinary Manager with food preparation, meal setup & service as necessary
- Clean, with good hygiene habits
- Communicates effectively; able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language (English) used in the workplace
- Organized, accurate and reliable
- Prioritizes and works efficiently with limited supervision
- Positive and upbeat attitude and demeanor
- Recognizes and resolves problems quickly and efficiently
- Works in a team environment
Other Skills / Abilities:
- Bend and stretch frequently
- Handle a fast-paced environment
- Lift, balance and carry up to 50 lbs. during your shift
- Perform all duties in a hot and humid environment
- Stand, walk and remain on feet and perform job duties for entire shift duration
- Work quickly and quietly
- Housing and studio access negotiable
To Apply: If you are interested in applying for the Kitchen Steward position for the 2020 season, please submit a cover letter and resume to Lindsay K. Gates, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
Applications Due: April 1, 2020
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. This job description describes the general nature of the job and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job. Job descriptions do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Touchstone Center for Crafts prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or association preference. Touchstone Center for Crafts also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to its facilities and programming.